National Workplace Initiative
Creating a nationally consistent approach to mentally healthy workplaces
About the National Workplace Initiative
The National Workplace Initiative is an $11.5 million investment by the Commonwealth Government to create a nationally consistent approach to mentally healthy workplaces in Australia.
The National Workplace Initiative aims to:
- create an evidence-based framework for mentally healthy workplace strategies
- help people at work and those connected to them find suitable initiatives and resources
- showcase successful approaches to mentally healthy workplaces
- strengthen the many programs and interventions already underway in Australia.
The National Workplace Initiative is utilising local and international research and learning from the industry and mental health experts, and other government organisations.
The Mentally Healthy Workplace Alliance
The National Workplace Initiative is a collaborative project of the Mentally Healthy Workplace Alliance, a group of national organisations representing business, union, mental health, workplace health and government.
Blueprint for Mentally Healthy Workplaces
The work of the National Workplace Initiative is informed by the Blueprint for Mentally Healthy Workplaces.
This document outlines the core pillars and principles for a nationally consistent approach to mentally healthy workplaces. These pillars and principles are relevant for all workplaces across Australia.
The three pillars of mentally healthy workplaces that you will see throughout the Blueprint and this platform are:
- Protect. Identify and manage work-related risks to mental health.
- Respond. Identify and respond to support people experiencing mental ill-health or distress.
- Promote. Recognise and enhance the positive aspects of work that contribute to good mental health.
Become a contributor
A nationally consistent approach to creating mentally healthy workplaces relies on us working together. The more we can align our language, resources and advice - the easier it will be for workplaces to know what action to take.
The National Workplace Initiative aims to amplify - not duplicate. If you are an organisation developing evidence-informed resources, we look forward to featuring your work.
Sign up for updates
The National Workplace Initiative is also developing a range of resources and products beyond this platform. There are opportunities to provide feedback on early concepts or join groups of testers for new products or resources.
Sign up to our newsletter through the Have Your Say platform to stay up to date with the National Workplace Initiative.